Saturday, September 12

One Week Of Classes Down, 14 More To Go!

Well, it's finally Saturday morning and I've now made it through one whole week of classes!  My conclusion for the semester... I'm going to be crazy busy!  I decided to be a little extra ambitious this semester and take 4 studio classes! (For those who don't know what that means, it's double what normal sane people take!)  This means that I am going to class from 9am-7pm four days a week!  Studio classes are 6 hours long, which seems insane, but you can actually get a lot of work done!  I'm thinking that it will keep me on my toes and focused so much that the time will pass fast!  I took a few pics during class one day this week to show everyone what our studio in Rome looks like... it's in an old palace that is the only original building still standing in what is known as the Jewish Ghetto.  Don't worry, it's not a ghetto like we have in America, it's actually a very safe place.  There will be more pics above in the photo stream!

This weekend, a lot of the girls that I live with decided to travel to varying places around Italy, but Bridget and I decided that we should stay home and get a jump start on all our projects and research (and to go SHOPPING!).  After just one week, I already have 7 different projects underway... and lots of our projects are based on the incredible art and architecture here in Rome, so this means that I am traveling all over the city to gather information, pictures, sketches, etc. A few of the projects include: A total identity creation of the Tiber Island, which will include a logo, stationary, website, information packets, wayfinding, etc;  A series of four 3-D posters that work together and individually and are based on a path of 1000 paces that I took throughout the city;  The creation of sustainable packaging and labeling for a pre-existing spice company; And a handmade rustic 'altered' book based on my photography, comparing and contrasting the modern and ancient art here in Rome.  I'm very excited because these projects are unique to the Rome program and will always have special meaning.  Let's just hope that I can get them all done in time and that they turn out decent!

For another class, art historty, we go on 3 hour walking tours each week of buildings around the city.  This week, we visited 3 different churches and we able to take some amazing pictures of the artwork inside.  I'm hoping to get more pictures up soon, and those churches will be included.  Also, a lot of the other photos were taken for the purposes of varying projects, so don't think I'm weird if you see 30 different road signs, strange detail shots, or anything else that might be in there!  One more thing... this week we broke the 100 days until I come home mark!  I believe that today is 98!  Can't to see everyone again!  Loves!

1 comment: